Application Form - Girl Representative of the Board of Directors
Submission Deadline is May 5, 2014
The Board of Directors of Girl Scouts of Utah believes firmly in developing girl leadership, and the importance of involving girls in decision-making. The Board actively promoted and supported the by-law changes approved by our delegates at our annual meeting in August 2013.
The Board of Directors has tasked the Board Development Committee (BDC) with seeking dynamic young women, ages 16-17, for two one-year positions as girl representatives on GSU’s Board of Directors. This position is responsible for serving as the voice of girl members by providing perspective into the needs and lives of today’s girls. Candidates are evaluated based upon their capacity to fulfill this role and whether they possess the skill sets necessary to achieving the short term and long term strategic goals of our council.
The BDC is responsible for recruiting and screening all nominees.
Candidates for the position must meet the following criteria:
- Accepts the principles, beliefs and purpose of Girl Scouting
- Be a current member of GSUSA.
- Understands cultural, social and economic trends affecting girls today and their impact on Girl Scouting and its activities.
- Be a citizen of the U.S.A., as required by GSUSA Congressional Charter and Constitution.
- Be a minimum of 16 years of age at the time of election.
Meetings and Time Commitment:
- Orientation – two hour time commitment. Attend with parent or guardian.
- Regular Board Meetings - the Board of Directors meets formally at the Council Resource Center (CRC) from 4:30 – 7:00pm on September 4 and December 4, 2014. June 2015 (date to be determined).
- Annual Meeting – August 2014
- Board Retreat – March 2015, Saturday at Trefoil Ranch
- Town Meeting – Spring 2015
- Time Commitment – minimum of 5 hours per month
Please submit two (2) letters of recommendation – one letter of recommendation from a Girl Scout volunteer and one letter of recommendation from someone not related to you (i.e. from school, faith organization, or other organization you are involved in). The letters should address the following points:
• Candidate’s leadership
• Candidate’s maturity
• Candidate’s ability to follow through
Please send letters of recommendation to:
Girl Scouts of Utah
Attn: Board Development Committee
445 East 4500 South, Suite 125
Salt Lake City, UT 84107
Or email to Cassie Augustyn, Administrative Assistant, at email@example.com
By signing above I acknowlege I have read, received, and reviewed the Position Description and Expectations. If elected, I accept the responsibilities and commitments associated with service on the Board of Directors of the GIRL SCOUTS OF UTAH as a girl representative. I accept the expectations as outlined and agree to have my name entered into nomination for the term indicated. I understand my e-signature carries the intent of a signature and is legally binding.
Parent/Guardian Permission and e-Signature:
I am the legal parent/guardian of the above named and hereby give my permission for her, if elected, to serve as a girl representative on the GSU Board of Directors. I have reviewed the Position Description and Expectations and understand the associated time commitments, travel requirements and costs necessary for her to fulfill her responsibilities. I understand and will uphold with her confidentiality of all board business. I understand my e-signature carries the intent of a signature and is legally binding.