Power Up encourages the 85% of the population who are bystanders to bullying (rather than targets or bullies) to recognize the strength in those numbers and use it to intervene when they see something wrong.
An all-girl program, Power Up is focused on preventing the unique verbal and relational bullying prevalent among girls.
Power Up is designed to teach girls how to identify bullying; address bullies, targets and bystanders; and give girls the tools they need to intervene when they see bullying. We strive for the girls to find their power, both personally and in numbers, to stand up against bullying instead of just standing by.
Objectives of Power Up:
- Girls and adults will know bullying when they see it.
- Girls and adults will explore ways to prevent bullying in their communities.
- Girls and adults will be prepared to effectively intervene when they see bullying happen.
Outcomes of Power Up:
In evaluations of 6-12th grade participants in the Power Up program..
- 94% of girls learned ways to help someone who is being bullied.
- 87% of girls made a personal commitment to avoid bullying behaviors.
- 92% of girls committed to defending others when they witness bullying.