Journeys & Stem
It's Your Planet—Love It! This journey promotes STEM to girls by encouraging them to think critically about their interactions with nature and how they will empower others to have a positive impact on the environment. It engages girls in age-appropriate, real-world, and leadership-building activities that are hands-on and collaborative. It makes STEM relevant, approachable, and fun, while teaching girls about successful women in STEM fields.
It's Your Planet—Love It! by Age Level
- Between Earth and Sky (Daisy level, Grades K–1)
- On their journey Between Earth and Sky, Daisies explore the wonders of plant life and what they can do to help protect it. Girls discover the basics of scientific thinking—observation, communication, and classification—as they explore the natural world around them.
- Wonders of Water (Brownie level, grades 2–3)
- On their journey in Wonders of Water, Brownies explore different water habitats and learn about each habitat's role in the water cycle. They also delve into the science behind rainbows, climates, and rainfall, while learning how innovative engineering creates solutions to world water issues.
- Get Moving! (Junior level, grades 4–5)
- Junior Girl Scouts discover how energy is used in their homes, schools, and for transportation; then they learn how to conserve it. They explore the basic forms of energy, energy use (by animals and humans), waste and wasted energy, and the engineering behind energy efficient buildings and transportation.
- Breathe (Cadette level, grades 6–8)
- Girls explore nearly every aspect of air, including its chemical composition, the layers of Earth's atmosphere, the scientific tracking of global air pollution, and the measurement of sound.
- Sow What? (Senior level, grades 9–10)
- Girls explore biodiversity, the history and chemical components of modern agriculture, the pros and cons of monoculture, and the many variations in "local" soils. Girls use science to learn about proper nutrition and math to help them calculate the "food print."
- Justice (Ambassador level, grades 11–12)
- Girls create their own unique equation of justice for the Earth and its inhabitants, as they "Do the Math" to reduce their environmental impact and inspire others to join them.