Cornelia Benton Scholarship
The Cornelia Benton Scholarship was started in 1991 before "Cornie" Benton passed in 2006. The Cornelia Benton Scholarship Committee has continued the scholarship, allowing active, high school senior Girl Scouts to apply for financial aid for their continued education.
Cornelia lived the Girl Scout Promise for 82 years, making her the
oldest Girl Scout in Utah! She joined at age 13, earning 24
proficiency badges and her Golden Eaglet through the age of 18. When
she completed her education, Cornelia became an elementary school
teacher and a teacher for the visually impaired students.
Active Girl Scouts are awarded this prestigious scholarship based on their service to their community, leadership skills, and awards; through Girl Scouts, their community, their church, their school, or any other organization. This scholarship is based solely on service, leadership skills and positions, and awards received.
Please do not disclose information such as GPA, SAT/ACT scores, or other academic record in this application as the committee will not be considering these factors in scoring.
- On or before Thursday, April 4, 2019 - scholarship applications received. We will not accept late applications.
- May 4, 2019 - All applicants will be notified.
- Active registered Girl Scout – six years or more
- Graduating from high school this year
- Documentation of community service, leadership positions, and awards received.
- A one-page reference letter from an adult mentor who has witnessed you in a leadership position. The reference letter should address the reasons why you would be a good candidate to receive the Cornelia Benton Scholarship.
- No photos should be attached to application
The scholarship will be awarded based on the following criteria:
- Continued and current active participation in Girl Scouting
- Contribution to Girl Scouting and the community
- Dedication to service, with an emphasis on the Girl Scout Highest Awards or equivalent
- Communication skills – grammar, punctuation, and succinctness
- Future goals and preparation
- Application will be reviewed by the Cornelia Benton Scholarship Committee. The application and all communication given is on behalf of the Cornelia Benton Scholarship Committee.
- Fill out the online application form
- Send your reference letter to Girl Scouts of Utah. You can mail or email it, but it must be received by the application submission deadline.
Girl Scouts of Utah
445 East 4500 South, #125
Salt Lake City, UT 84107
Email to: email@example.com
3. Scholarship applications must be
received on or before Thursday,
April 4, 2019. We will not accept late applications.
4. All applicants will be notified by May 4, 2019.
Both your application and reference letter must be received by the application submission deadline.
If you have any questions, please contact the Programs Departments: firstname.lastname@example.org or call (801) 716-8472.
We look forward to receiving your applications!