Flag ceremonies can be customized based on the occasion and location. While all flag ceremonies should feature respect for the flag and follow the flag code, some elements may be changed depending on the situation. There are many things to consider when planning your flag ceremony:
- How many girls will be participating?
- How many flags will you be using? Which flags?
- What is the layout of the location, including where the girls will be walking and where the flags will be placed?
- Who is the audience?
- Will you be including any songs, poems, or other sayings to the ceremony?
- Will there be a practice time for the girls?
You may need to alter a flag ceremony, like one you use for your troop meeting, if you were instead presenting at a town hall meeting. For example, not reciting the Girl Scout Promise after the Pledge of Allegiance, or using a different number of flags.